Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Cottondale Junction

Not a lot of progress since the last post, but I do finally have a piece of the middle level in place:

Finally I can tell how much room there really is between the lower and middle levels, and I'm pretty pleased with it. You can see back to all the tracks, and there's plenty of room to reach in and fiddle with cars or flip switches.

This portion of the middle level will be Cottondale, where the L&N main has a junction with the Atlanta & St. Andrews Bay. In reality the junction grade crossing will be where the layout main line crosses itself. Now you can see how the main gets from Chattahoochee to Cottondale--it runs along the front of the lower level and reaches the helix to the right, works its way around the first two levels of the helix, and appears at Cottondale on the middle level at the back right. From there it proceeds around the middle level to Milton before proceeding on up to Pensacola (on the other side of the layout). Tallahassee will be along the back in this scene, a couple of inches above the middle level. The mainline from Tallahassee will wind around the top level of the helix to reach the junction from the front right (the top level of the helix is not yet in place).

Next weekend I plan to have more time to work on the layout, so maybe I can get the rest of the middle level in place at least.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon it is looking good. I am anxious to see it with all the track in place and trains running. Have you built the birthday cars yet? How did they compare to the others? Also, you know that you MUST have an inaugural locomotive to run and it must be something very special -- not sure if you want to do diesel or steam since you could go either way. I have seen many good L&N and Seabord diesels lately in the catalogues and web sites. Keep up the good work! (And go see the Simpsons movie. We caught it on opening night and loved it -- AND it has a CHARLIE HERMAN in it!!!!)

10:19 AM  
Blogger Hermus said...

The local hobby shop has a Seaboard Alco RS-3 that I've had my eye on, but I figure there's no point in buying it until I can run it. I haven't built the birthday cars yet...I've spent all my train time on the layout lately, but they look good--as good quality as the other ones you gave me. We're planning to see Simpson's, and now that I know Hermus has a cameo, I'll definitely be there!

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home