Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Timetable

I took off work yesterday with the idea of spending the day laying track. As it turned out I spent the day laying down the trackplan for Chattahoochee yard--getting turnout angles and curve radii to line up turned out to be an all day job. Making one small change required adjustments throughout the yard, sort of like typing a letter on a typewriter rather than a word processor--one error means starting over!

I thought I'd work out a schedule of tasks to be completed to give myself some goals and see how things will progress over the next few months. This schedule may seem like a slow pace, but I tried to be realistic based on my train budget and time constraints.
  1. Lay track on lower level - February/March
  2. Construct remaining subroadbed - March/April
  3. Lay remaining mainline track - April/May
  4. Wire mainline & install DCC - May/June
  5. Complete tracklaying/wiring - June/July
  6. Fascia & backdrop - July-September
  7. Scenery/buildings etc. (fun stuff) - September onward

Pretty slow-going, but based on my progress so far that's pretty reasonable. My big goal is to be able to run a train on the complete mainline (with DCC) by my birthday, June 10th.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, perhaps you had the able assistance of a certain Charlie Herman whilst laying those turnouts in the yard? I am sure he would have been fascinated with turnout flanges, frogs, rerailers and guide rails. It's enough to make any monkey jiggle the turnouts in joy! After all, who cares what angle or radius you use as long as the banana cars can be left for loading or unloading!

12:45 PM  
Blogger Hermus said...

Hmmm, maybe Hermus was redrawing the curves when I wasn't looking, that would explain a lot.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey there Jon. I was just sent over to see how you were doing? How's it going? You feeling alright? There's a lot of pressure facing you; have you thought about stepping down?

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your layout impresses me very much.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola, que tal? Me llamo Jorge de la revolucion de la ferrocarril, y tu esta enfermo.

8:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home