Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Rolling Stock



I'm still waiting for an order of turnouts before I can lay more track, so in the meantime I assembled some kits my brother Marty gave me for Christmas:



The three boxcars are by Branchline Trains, the hopper is a Walthers Proto 2000 kit. The detail on these kits is impressive compared to the old Athearn Blue Box kits we used to have in the 80s (some of which are in the background). Especially the Proto 2000 model--I had to put on each grab iron individually.



It's also great to have some local Florida railroads represented on the layout. Thanks Marty!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, the rolling stock looks great! I thought those kits had a lot more "work" to them than the old Athearns. Just need to get a chalk weathering kit. Actually, I think if I were doing it over I'd get a basic airbrush and use it for weathering. I got hooked on that when I was working at Model Railroader and it is so much easier to create weathered surfaces. Keep up the good work!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Hermus said...

The hopper was definitely more challenging than the old Athearn kits--took me an hour or two to put on all the grab irons and other parts. But the Branchline kits went together pretty quick.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home