Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Seaboard Paint Schemes

Here are some pictures of Seaboard Air Line paint schemes for early generation (1940s & 50s) diesels. The first photo shows the classy black and red paint scheme used for switchers.


Next up is the standard freight scheme for the era, before they switched to a brighter "Jolly Green Giant" scheme in the 60s.


Information on passenger trains is a little harder to follow, but to my knowledge all early Seaboard passenger diesels were painted in the "citrus" scheme shown here:

At some point (late 50s/early 60s) Seaboard switched to a new passenger diesel scheme shown below. It is described as "pale green" although in every photo I've seen it sure looks white to me:


Not the prettiest paint schemes in the railroad world, but certainly distinctive. I plan to include units with the first three schemes on my layout. I'll take a look at L&N diesels in a future post.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love those colorful diesels! But you are passing on the pale green? Such possibilities! Oh well, I agree the first one is best.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home