Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Monday, August 14, 2006

Milton Station

Jennifer and I visited her family in Milton this weekend, and we stopped by the station for a few pictures. It now houses the West Florida Railroad Museum and a hobby shop.


The museum includes some freight and passenger cars, and a separate building for a model train layout.


Here's an historic photo from about the same angle. I've been looking at model kits, but none look very similar to this. The roof design of this station is different than most kits, but I may be able to kitbash something.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jon, you could easily model this building using cardstock. It will take a lot of angle cuts, but even the roof can be done. There are materials you can buy to look like shingles or slate roofing that can easily be matched to this station.
Also, I found a book this weekend that has some great color photos of L&N and SAL engines in the 1950s. It is a book titled "America's Colorful Railroads" and documents in color photography the transition from steam to diesel in the 1945-1965 era. I'll show it to you in Columbia.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Hermus said...

Sounds like a great book, I'll have to look for a copy! As far as scratchbuilding, I think I'm going to try that for the Tallahassee station, because I really want that one to look authentic, but for the others I think I'll just go for a good resemblance. I think I can find a kit that looks close to the walls/windows of this station, and maybe scratchbuild the roof and some details.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home