Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Train Room


After negotiations with the Minister of the Interior (Jennifer), my train layout is going in our front bedroom. It's a 14' by 12' room, and the layout will be an L-shape along two walls. This view shows the southwest corner of the room, where the center of the layout will be.


This view is of the northwest corner. The room will also house a desk, bookshelf, and the game cabinet (as per negotiations). I've already started on benchwork, I'll post a photo of my progress in the next few days.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jon, it looks like things are coming along. I went into my train library last night to look up motive power in the 1950s for L&N and SAL. Looks like you will be using some old VO switchers, lots of SW switchers, and a slew of GP 7s and GP 9s. And of course the F units that L&N had. What steam are you planning? I like the roundhouse. You can use a kit for the brickwork and scratch the siding part, that is pretty easy to freelance. The roof may be trickey. Tell the minister of the interior hello!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Hermus said...

For diesels I'm looking at GP7s and Alco RS units, along with E-units for the Gulf Wind passenger train. From what I've gathered, both the L&N and Seaboard used Pacifics along this route for both freight & passenger. They each switched to E-units on the Gulf Wind sometime in the early 50s, while other passenger trains still used Pacifics until later in the decade. One problem with modeling two railroads is you have to have twice as many engines!

10:13 AM  
Blogger Hermus said...

Yep I was thinking the same thing about the roundhouse, just put some wood siding over the brickwork on a kit, I think that would look pretty similar. I may not worry so much about the roof.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home