Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Pensacola Pier


Here's the Pensacola port area in the 1940s. If I'm looking at this right I think the L&N pier is on the left, and the Frisco pier is on the right.


Here's the L&N coal tipple on the Pensacola pier. At this point I don't think I'll have room to model the pier itself, although I might have a spur track running off the layout to represent the pier.


Here's downtown Pensacola in 1959, showing the L&N yards.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More interesting things to model! I'd put Jennifer to work building that tipple! I was at the Sedalia fair yesterday and went over to the old shops to check things out. They have a good KATY museum in the old depot, too. Lots of modeling ideas!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First, let's talk about some things we know are true. These diesel locomotives are built with 12-cylinder, two-stroke diesel engines, and also have some heavy duty electric motors and generators. These locomotives probably weigh around 270,000 pounds, and I bet they can travel at up to 110 miles per hour (177 kph.) The engine produces 3,200 horsepower, and the generator turns this into nearly 4,700 amps. Four drive motors take this current and generate more than 64,000 pounds of thrust. My question is this: how do you plan on representing all of this power with the model railroad?

5:06 PM  
Blogger Hermus said...

Simple, I'm going to use lots of subwoofers.

7:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on President Oetting, get your railroad going already! How can we live vicariously through your Pike when you don't put any new posts on for a full week? Give me a switch tower, a passenger station platform or at least a scrummy boxcar example!

10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home