Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'm baaack!

Ha ha! Just when you thought the layout was gathering cobwebs, I have more progress to show! It's been a very busy few weeks so I haven't had much time for trains, but this weekend I got a chance to do some work. The first shot below shows a train approaching Cottondale Jct. on the middle level. The train has just wound up the east helix from Chattahoochee below. The second photo shows the east helix, now with track in place.
Next step is to order some more turnouts and track to finish the mainline on the middle level. Slowly but surely it's getting there! Probably won't meet my goal of running trains by the holidays, maybe I should just shoot for getting there before the baby arrives in March!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting site. I am impressed with the track planning and the helix construction. Your historical background makes for an interesting pike and it has been fun to check back from time to time to see your progress. We all wish we had more time to devote to this great hobby. One question -- why are there so many references to monkeys?????

10:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a great track plan. I am curious what you plan to do with the helix areas in terms of scenery? Are you planning to hide them or try to do scenery around them? I have one on my layout but it is enclosed with masonite with an access hatch. I ran across your site and like all the history and photos. I wish I had done that much research on my layout before building it. Keep up the good work.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Hermus said...

Thanks for the comments. For scenery around the helix, I haven't completely worked it out yet, but at least on the Pensacola side I plan to model the Pensacola bluffs along Escambia Bay. The L&N line runs right along the edge of the bay with bluffs above it and the City of Pensacola above and beyond that, so it matches my layout design pretty well. As for monkeys, well, it's an old family tradition.

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Family tradition? I guess that is better than the traditions Hank Williams sang about???

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one recommendation for your helix area. Make sure that you place a backdrop or short wall around the inside edges. Sooner or later a derailment will happen and half of a string of cars can get sprung onto the floor. That happened to me until I wised up and put a one-inch barrier around the inside edge, with enough room to reach over and rerail cars.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Hermus said...

That's a good suggestion, I've planned to do something like that although I obviously haven't gotten around to it yet. I figured I would just cut 1-inch strips of masonite to place along the inside edge somehow.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home