Rails Through the Longleaf

A model railroad empire through northwest Florida.

Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, February 17, 2008

Prenatal Progress

Our baby is due any week now, so I've been trying to make as much progress as I can on the layout before I become a dad. All of the plywood subroadbed is now installed, except for the two town areas sitting in the middle of each helix. I've also completed the cork roadbed along the entire main line.

Here's a panorama shot of the entire layout except for the helixes on either end. The upper back level is now in place. Pensacola will be on the upper left and Tallahassee on the upper right. The upper train is passing through Milton after leaving the junction at Cottondale. The lower train is pulling through the yard at River Junction (Chattahoochee).


Here's a closeup showing the three levels. The cork roadbed is now in place along the mainline through Tallahassee and Pensacola.

This view looking toward the north helix shows Tallahassee on the upper left, Cottondale at center and Chattahoochee beneath. I've still got some weights and clamps in place to hold the freshly caulked roadbed.

Finally, here's a closeup of trains on the middle and lower levels. Actually, this could be one REALLY long train...

So I've made good progress. The next step is to order more track and switches so I can complete the mainline and then start wiring it up. Probably won't get all that done before the baby comes.

I've still got one more installment from my December railfan trip that I'll post soon. After that there may be a hiatus for awhile--I have a feeling fatherhood is going to keep me busy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home